Monday, January 18, 2010

A Ray of Sunshine


While at the farmers market this week, it occurred to me that I have never once used a Meyer lemon! If you have not encountered these fabulous little gems of the citrus world, please go out and find some right now! A Meyer lemon is a cross between a lemon and an orange. They are sweet, but still have that lemony tang.



It's pouring down rain in L.A. right now, but I don't care...

Honestly, I am glad that Meyer lemons qualified as a new ingredient for me, as it gives me the opportunity to post this wonderful little pudding "cake" recipe. They are bright and cirtusy and cheerful, a little ray of sunshine on a plate, which I think is something we could all use right now.

Zesty!

Individual Meyer Lemon Pudding Cakes

adapted from Bon Appetit Magazine
original recipe may be viewed at
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Meyer-Lemon-Buttermilk-Pudding-Cake-with-Fresh-Berries-231451

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 cup sugar, divided
4 large egg yolks
1/3 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
zest from 2 Meyer lemons, chopped fine
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 large egg whites at room temperature


Preparations
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter 6 individual serving sized ramekins and set aside.
Blend buttermilk, 1/2 cup sugar, egg yolks, lemon juice, flour, butter, lemon zest and salt in blender until smooth.

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining half cup sugar and beat until stiff but not dry. By hand, gently fold buttermilk mixture into egg whites about a cup at a time. Batter will be runny.

My husband thinks I am obsessed with ramekins. He might be right...

Scoop batter into prepared ramekins. Place ramekins in a large roasting pan and add water until the ramekins are half-way covered. Bake until the top is semi-firm, about 45 minutes. It will still give a little, and I expected it to brown more but it didn't. Cool on rack and then chill in refrigerator for at least 3 hours. Serve in ramekins or invert onto plate. I dressed mine up a little with some blackberries and mint, any berry would work nicely with it, you could also dust it with some powdered sugar or just leave it plain.


You can expect some shrinkage when they come out of the oven...


Some thoughts about this recipe:

This isn't really cake. It really is more of a pudding consistency which I liked a lot, but if you are looking for a traditional cake texture, this is not the recipe. If you cook it longer, it will be more firm but it will never be totally cakey.



We are fans of pudding, so this worked out well.

It says to cool and chill it, which is nice, it makes it light and refreshing. As my friend Jodi pointed out, it makes a fun noise when you dig into it. But it's also very tasty warm, after just a few minutes cooling out of the oven. Not that I ate a whole one out of a ramekin standing in the kitchen...

4 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful. I"ve bookmarked it, and I'll let you know when I make it, ok?

    Your photos are also amazing. I actually gasped when I saw that first one. It looks like sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful compliment, you just made my day! And I can't wait to hear how your goes. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so good! I adore Meyer lemons (especially with blackberries!) I wish I could get them at the farmer's market here.

    ReplyDelete